The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade is situated near the centre of the city at Bulevar oslobođenja 18, several hundred metres from the central Square Slavia towards Autokomanda Square, in the vicinity of Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry. When founded, some seventy years ago, it was located at the edge of the fast developing city.

Although the idea of founding the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine arose at the beginning of the twentieth century, the institution was established upon the Declaration of the Department of Education Act No 30281/36 in 1936 when it was named Veterinary Faculty of the University of Belgrade. On the 19th of August, 1936 first professors, mainly chosen among teachers of the Faculty of Medicine and/or Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, were elected to start the courses in accordance with the decision of the University Senate. The First Dean was Professor Živojin Đorđević, PhD. A total of 149 students were enrolled in 1936 Class, and the teaching was performed at the premises of the Faculty of Medicine.

During the first year vacancies for professors, associate professors, assistant professors and assistants were opened. Many eminent persons who made huge contribution to the development of the Faculty were appointed among them professors Ilija Đuričić, PhD, Antonije Vuković, PhD; Čedomir Simić, PhD; Jovan Dimić, PhD; Vladeta Simić, PhD, and others were among first elected into collegiums. Until nowadays, five professors of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine have been chosen as members of the Serbian Academy of Science.

Just before the outbreak of the Second World War the construction activity for the present Faculty Building started. Unfortunately, the construction and classes stops in 1941. The construction site revived in 1946, so that by 1948 most of the Faculty facilities, including some clinics were opened and the bases for research activity were also instituted.

In the past period the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has developed into a huge educational and research institution with three academic study programs. Many practicing veterinarians attend different forms of courses and seminars for continuing education.

For the excellent results achieved in the field of education and improvement of veterinary profession, Veterinary Faculty was honored with People`s merit medal with golden star given by Presidency of Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (November 26th, 1981).